In the previous article, we have seen basics about the architecture of Oracle Dataguard.
The main benefit of any DR server is we can say to protect Production Server’s critical data from any natural and unnatural disasters. We keep our Production Server in one place while our DR server can set up to even a different continent.
Oracle Data Guard provides us this main protection as well as we can take many other benefits from Data Guard as follows :
- Oracle Data Guard Provides high availability of data. Most of the business want to recover data from any disaster without loss of single byte. Oracle Data Guard have Maximum Protection mode for that.
- We can treat out Data Guard Server as Reporting Server and we can take share Production Server’s responsibility. In Data Guard Server Database can be opened in Read Only mode with the real-time apply state, so we can give access of our standby database to reporting team and that won’t affect OLTP transactions.
- We can offload RMAN backup to Standby Database. We can configure our backup server to Standby Database and that resource intensive task will be done from Standby Database.
- We can utilize Standby Database to test any new or existing functionality. Sometimes our developers want a replica of Production Server to test the functionality of new release of an application. And yes, our Standby Database is always ready for that. We don’t need to take backup and restore it another server. We can save that time. And if that testing needs write operation for testing, we can not simply make standby database in a read-write mode. But Data Guard has a feature of snapshot standby for that. An Oracle snapshot standby database feature allows you open the database in a read-write mode and the ability to roll back the changes to resume the standby synchronization from the point where it was stopped. When a standby database is converted to a snapshot standby database mode, the redo from the production will be shipped to the standby location; however, the redo will be not applied over the standby database. When the snapshot database revert back to standby database mode after all the testing, Oracle will resume the recovery from the point it was stopped and all the changes made temporary will be removed.
- We don’t need any additional software setup for Data Guard, as it is integrated with Oracle Database.
- Oracle Data Guard provides automatic role transition for Primary and Standby role.
- If any network outage occurs, Data Guard provides automatic gap detection of archive logs and resolution.
Stay tuned for More articles on Oracle DataGuard
Thank you for giving your valuable time to read the above information.
If you want to be updated with all our articles send us the Invitation or Follow us:
Telegram Channel: https://t.me/helporacle
Skant Gupta’s LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/skantali/
Joel Perez’s LinkedIn: Joel Perez’s Profile
LinkedIn Group: Oracle Cloud DBAAS
Facebook Page: OracleHelp