Logical Standby Database in Data Guard environment stays in a Read, Write mode that is fully updatable mode.
Logical Standby Database provides following benefits over any other standby database in data guard :
To know more about Logical Standby Architecture: Logical Standby Database: SQL Apply Architecture
- The database is opened in READ, WRITE mode in logical standby database and apply mode is on at the same time. So we can use for reporting purpose or to host a new application if we want.
- We can add Materialized view and extra indexes on tables on Logical Standby database if don’t want to add them on Primary Database, It works fine in this case. So we can say here resources used for logical standby database is efficiently utilized.
- The logical standby tables that are updated from the primary database can be used for other tasks (such as reporting, summations, and queries), thereby reducing the primary database workload.
- Logical Database provides data protection as physical corruptions are not disseminate to Logical Standby Database through redo data.
- Logical Database provides delay feature and we can use it to handle any user errors before it propagates to standby database.
- A logical standby database can be used to upgrade Oracle Database software and apply patch sets with almost no downtime. The logical standby database can be upgraded to the new release and switched to the primary database role. The original primary database is then converted to a logical standby database and upgraded and yes it provides disaster recovery for any natural disaster as it is mainly made for disaster recovery.
Stay tuned for More articles on Oracle DataGuard
Thank you for giving your valuable time to read the above information.
If you want to be updated with all our articles send us the Invitation or Follow us:
Telegram Channel: https://t.me/helporacle
Skant Gupta’s LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/skantali/
Joel Perez’s LinkedIn: Joel Perez’s Profile
LinkedIn Group: Oracle Cloud DBAAS
Facebook Page: OracleHelp